Monday 4 May 2020

Alien bounty hunters

Hello everyone,

The holidays are once again over, me and my family even managed to sneak out of the house for a week and enjoy a short break at the beach.
Before our leave and the start of term 2, I spend some time trying to reduce my extensive backlog of partially painted models and also played a few Rogue Planet skirmishes with my two eldest sons and we had a lot of fun.
Needless to say this has given me an extra incentive to paint some more sci-fi models.

About 5 years back I decided to get into AE bounty and bought some models to play the game. As so often happened (and happens), the project got shelved and many of the models were never finished. Looking back at the brushwork that I had done back then, it seems like I was in a hurry and made some strange decisions regarding the colour schemes.
While there was a strong urge to strip and repaint them, I decided not to. I would never get through my lead mountain If I went down that route.
So, all I did was some touching up, painted the base in the same wasteland colour as the rest of my models and corrected some obvious mistakes.

The first guy was nearly done and it didn't take me long to get him ready for a game.


Another bounty hunter, with a glowing plasma gun this time. 


The next three were already completely finished. However, like I said: "mistakes were made".
Not only did all three of them have the same dark brown skin-tone (no clue why I painted them like this anymore), the one on the left also had a completely monotone blue-grey armour.
Luckily, nothing I couldn't solve with the use of some washes and a fast repaint. 

 
And lastly, the boss, nothing new here except for a repaint of the base and the removal of some static grass (which was incredible hard to do).


Pretty sure this is a Star Wars Micro Machines model from one of their interactive terrain sets, which is a little bit bigger (closer to 20mm scale probably), but close enough for me to use him in 15mm. 
He's perfect for a number of roles such as a noble, rich merchant, mob boss or even a religious figure of note.


Ready for some more Rogue Planet, Traveller, 5 Parsecs, Gunstorm or who knows what else. 

Thank you for reading!

Wouter


19 comments:

  1. I get what you say about feeling to touch up here and there but as I haven't seen them before your remake I can't anything but most of the models have stuff to like and to look at.

    1st one has a neat contrast between his armour and gun, which edge highlights are nice.

    2nd one packs a lot of punch with that object source light. It's a scene himself.

    Then there's a mixbax of generic looking aliens but IMHO isn't paintjob's fault but uninspired sculpting. In example, the blue faced dude is the one I dislike the most sculpt-wise but I like him over the last dudes of the troupe.

    That colour makes him look like his skin glows!

    Superb work on the... gungan was their name? Back at its days I repainted aliens and predator micro machines so I know what you did there: the amount of texture (skin, robes) and crisp detail (golden stuff) you literally added to such "blank space" little to is outstanding.

    I fear I have no clue about the rulesets you've mentioned tho.

    Glad you managed to get quality time at the beach! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Javi, the original paintjob can be seen here:
      https://smallprojectteam.blogspot.com/2013/05/pirates.html?m=1

      I think the micro machines figure's called Boss Nass and he's indeed a Gungan.

      Delete
    2. Also, shame I missed those Alien and Predator sets. These would have been great.

      Delete
  2. These look brilliant! The colours are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them! Great color schemes and really like the rich noble mini.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, he's my favourite of the bunch too. Quite a challenge to paint though as details were shallow to almost non-existent.

      Delete
  4. Great work on all, and love all the colour choices from skin tones to outfits, and excellent bit of OSL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave, I actually cheated a bit on the OSL and used some Fluo green from Vallejo.

      Delete
  5. They are beautiful... Do I see some Critical Mass stuff? Please tell me the lines, I fear I need them all. That glow effect is ACE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right, mostly Critical Mass. The one with the OSL is a slightly converted Khurasan model.
    Thank you for the kind words?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like what I see here. The colour choices are pretty wise, judging by the final results. I can't do that OSL on 28mm minis, wow!
    Amazing job on all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply. Thanks a lot for the kind words mate, it's really not that hard to do though.

      Delete
  8. I particularly like the color contrast on the face of that last mini i.e. the Star Wars/Noble/Merchant/Mob Boss/Religious Figure. Great use of a lighter hue on the lower jaw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate and sorry for the late reply. He indeed turned out a lot better than I expected.

      Delete
  9. Why did I only notice these now? Great variety, it really is beautiful. That lizard-looking guy with the green head and Mr Redsuit are my favorites. You certainly manage to get a lot of detail into your small scaled painting. Keep it up + post some battle reports!
    PS let me know if you want me to share Rogue Planet card templates with you - putting your mini's pictures on your own cards makes it all the more fun to play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jason and thank you for posting.
      I don't get a lot of games in, but doing a battle report is actually a great idea. Biggest problem is to get good pictures with models as small as these.

      Love to get these templates!

      Delete