Wednesday 20 March 2019

And now for something different

Hello everyone,

Here's another weekly update with something that isn't 15mm this time.
Soon I will be going back to Belgium for a short holiday to meet family and friends and I decided to use this opportunity to get rid of some non-15mm while I'm there.
Offering stuff to my friends is probably the best way to get started and  Lucky for me they didn't disappoint when I contacted them.
However, some miniatures accidentally moved to Australia over the course of our stay here and I need to take these with me when I go, among them two partially painted miniatures for Freebooter's Fate.
To do my friend who likes to buy them a favour, I painted these up already. This way he's got a painted starter set to begin with.

For those who don't know the game: Freebooter's Fate is a German game about pirates (duh) and their antics. What's different about the game is that it doesn't use any dice at all but a rather unique card mechanic, unique even compared to other games with cards like Malifaux.

I must admit it felt a bit weird painting 28mm miniatures again; they're far from perfect, but with only four hours/model (which is almost speedpainting for me) I can't complain about the result.
The most funny thing to do was comparing them to the three miniatures I painted oh so many years ago. I always considered/thought I was at my peak back then,
Seeing them now together I feel like my painting skills have evolved. Back then I was using techniques which were new to me, like NMM and I learned a lot in a short time while now I got more tricks; though it took me longer to learn them.

And now the whole gang

That's it for this week, thank you very much for reading.



Friday 15 March 2019

Howling to the Moon

Hello everyone,

Here's another progress update on my Rangers of Shadow Deep project.
With my children having a public holiday this week I had less time to paint and decided to do something real quick. This is easily achieved when using a limited palette of colours and while I don't plan to use most of the models from the get-go, I am going to use them in the long run.
Turns out I was even able to finish these in a shorter amount of time than I expected, so I also did a quicky on an undead ogre.

Some zombie wolves and a werewolf; I still need to paint three more of these wolves.

While I'm going to use this beast as a werewolf, he doesn't really look like one, which is why I decided on a different colourscheme. In my eyes he looks more like 'The Hound of the Baskervilles'.

A German Shepherd companion model for the good guys.

I'm not sure, but I think this is an alien dog model from Alternative Armies.

This is actually an 28mm Norse dwarf from Bad Squiddo Games, but given her size she's perfect as a large model for 15mm too. The only thing I did was make her look more skeletal. I hope they're doing more Norse dwarves in the future as I will be needing at least one more ogre

That's it for these week, thank you for visiting!


Saturday 9 March 2019

'Stand back girl!'

Hello everyone,

A short post this time has I didn't have much time to paint this week.
Last Sunday was spend going to the Adelaide 500 (a racing car event) with the family.
I'm only remembering the loud engines and noxious fumes, but my two eldest sons simply adore these kind of things.
So it was a bit like a compulsory family excursion.
On Monday I did a little bit more conversion work on some doubles I got, to make some more individual companion models.

I'm not entirely happy with them, but I'm getting there and the head swaps turned out better than I expected. 

 This little girl started out as a Ravenwing Angelic figure. After I saw it on eBay I asked the seller how tall it was and he said that it measured 15mm.
So I planned transforming it into a second Arcanist, with a book strapped onto his back. When it arrived it turned out it was only 12mm and without a lip on it's feet it felt even smaller.
I decided to try my hand at sculpting a face and make it look like a little girl.
The first face I made was too large, better suited for 25mm, this is my second attempt.
While painting her I had no idea what to do with the rabbit as I didn't want her to look too drab, which is why it's pink and looks a bit like a care-rabbit.

Among the order I got from Alternative Armies we're more Rogue/Thief characters than I had a use for, so I decided to change one to a swordsman.
I added a hat, facial hair, sword and a scabbard.
The hat, scabbard and sword turned out alright, though his stance is a bit weird. His moustache and goatee look ridiculous in my opinion though, I need to do better next time.

A wraith, also from AA.
I didn't like the empty hood on the model and tried sculpting him a skullface. Some of the details, like it's teeth, turned out being too shallow as I painted him.
Lessons learned!

That's it for this week. 
Thanks a lot for reading

Best regards


Saturday 2 March 2019

Protect the lady!

Hello everyone,

Like I said in my previous post, most of my hobby time this week was spend applying to all the miniatures I painted since I arrived in Australia, just over a year ago.
To be honest, there weren't that many of them but it took a lot of time cleaning my airbrush after each session. Especially as varnish has the tendency to clutter, blocking the exhaust.
Using a spray can was out of the question however with the high temperatures we had here last week.

Luckily I had some time left to finish some models, though two of them were a bit rushed.

A man at arms and a templar defending this lady's (civilian) honour.
I tried to paint a gryphon on this guy's shield, not 100% perfect but it'll do.

While unpacking everything to put some varnish on, I came across these guys who were almost completely painted except for the base. So I did this real quick and added them in the queue.

That's it for now, thanks a lot for reading!