Monday 13 May 2019

Learning a new skill


Hello everyone,

Once more it took me a while to start blogging again.
But with a trip to Belgium, a week to try and get rid of a jetlag, having the kids at home for a holiday and me having the flu I didn’t get much hobby time these last few weeks.
Also, my focus currently lies on sculpting and converting, especially since my pledge from the World of Twilight Legends KS arrived.

Another reason I'm posting much is that I started playing 'Burning Sands' with my two eldest sons. It's, not unlike Rangers of Shadow Deep, a game with a strong RPG influence. The main difference with RoSD being the fact one player is controlling the 'Evil' force and the other one a hero and his/her henchmen. My oldest son asked me numerous times already when we're going to play again (our last game was on Saturday), making me focus on this game instead. My biggest problem and concern about RoSD is the fact there's so much to paint and build that were not playing the game yet. I know I don't have to convert all these miniatures but hey, that's what I do and like.
While I don't really care about the WYSIWYG rule, I think it is very important to at least have a miniature that kind of resembles what he's meant to be when playing with children.

With a painting competition for the World of Twilight Legends stuff coming up I've shifted my focus though.
That being said, I'm trying and learning to sculpt and I personally feel like I'm getting better.
15mm is far more forgiving than 28mm when converting and I think the scale suits me better anyway.

Most of these are still WIP, but you get the idea.


 
 Commander Brenar

 
 A Devanu Hatchling I'm sculpting, militia for scale.


 
 Devanu Matriarch


I felt that the detail on the armguards was a bit shallow so I 'improved' a bit on that.




I put on of the Delgon priests on the miscast (hence the greenstuff on his legs) Belan and went to town by sculpting robes, bottles and such. Still need to finish the staff though.


I wasn't entirely happy with the Lorsan cast, as you can see there are quite a few big airbubbles.

 
The heads on the militia are a flimsy as well and two had broken off during transport to my home. This did give me a reason to have them look in different directions though and make them a little bit more individual.
 
That's it for this post, hopefully there will be some painted models next time.
 
Thanks a lot for reading!
 
Wouter


21 comments:

  1. That's nice work, good skill on show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am seriously impressed! I just can't seem to tame the putty and end up with it all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind. For me personally I've become better by watching professionals at work on YouTube, having the right tools helps as well. These clay shapers make all the difference, I even hardly touch most of my sculpting tools anymore.

      Delete
  3. Witchcraft! I can deal with sculpting some details at 28mm, but this is something totally different :O
    Wow, I'm really impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much!
      Like I said, it's easier in 15mm as the details don't have to be as sharp as in 28mm.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful work on these mini mini!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For someone who absolutely sucks at sculpting (i.e. me) I can appreciate the effort you put in as a beginner to make the sculpts look so good.:) Sure makes me want to give it another go ... one day. It's great that your sons are into tabletop gaming as mine has no interest in the hobby whatsoever ... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kuan.
      The main thing to do now is keep him excited and entertained, which isn't always easy.
      I hope to see your sculpts one day, with your strive for perfection they no doubt turn out to be magnificent.

      Delete
  6. This is fantastic work sir - I am in awe. Love what you’ve done, and definitely want to see more of it. You also inspired me to give the smaller scale a go. It never occurred to try sculpting at that size!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear I can inspire you Mike, you certainly should give it a try. In fact I'm doing a lot of conversions at the 15mm scale lately and enjoy it a lot. Like I said in one of the comments above, it's not that difficult to do and a lot more forgiving than 28mm.
      Thank you very much for the comment!

      Delete
  7. Fantastic skills in sculpting, Wouter. I have a lot of ideas you could kindly execute for me! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind comment Skully!
      Just say the magic word and I'll be glad to help out 😊.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog Dean and thank you very much for the comment.

      Delete
  9. There's something that looks like fun! I especially liked the look of the Priest on the Belan - that staff-thing really makes it quite individual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot and welcome to my blog Jason. The thing on the staff was later converted into a lamp.

      Delete
  10. Ace sculpting!!! Do you give classes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? You do it that good that I commented twice! ;)

      Delete
    2. Hahaha, thank you very much Skully 😁.
      I've been having a bit of the blues lately and not doing much but you just gave me the drive to get back to my hobby table.

      As for the class, if you're willing to come to Australia you're more than welcome 😁, though I doubt there's much I can learn you.

      Delete