Sunday 17 November 2019

Local Wildlife

Hello Everyone,

Nothing really special this week, most of them are just some local animals and tokens for my Burning Sands games, though some of them may be featuring in other games in the future as well. One of the games I’m considering of doing is a Pulp exploration game and maybe even Ghost Archipelago.
Most of these have been on my painting list for a very long time and while they weren’t the most urgent, I’m still happy to finally call them done.

First up are the two animals that aren’t meant for Burning Sands.
  • The giant maggot is a Burrow Worm for Rangers of Shadow Deep, however with the number of undead I’m gathering I’m considering of doing a skirmish version of Dragon Rampant and this maggot could be a great addition to my army. The model is from the Reaper Bones line and I discovered here how hard it is to remove mouldlines from the models. In fact I suppose I need to use a technique similar to the one used on the Mantic plastics, which is cutting them away. This technique worked fine on my tortured soul, but I’m not a big fan of it as there’s always the risk you’re destroying details while doing so. Unfortunately there are still quite a few mouldlines present on my maggot as other techniques didn’t work and I guess I gave up.

  • Another game I’ve been considering is a 15mm version of the Relicblade game, I love the system and it could easily be played in other scales than 28mm, and I did this sabretooth with this in mind. For now it’s just going to feature in Rangers of Shadow Deep as a hound though. The model is a 10mm tiger model from Magister Militum where I sculpted some tusks on. I decided to use this smaller scale as the sabretooths in the 28mm version of the game are also a bit smaller than the human models.

My two ostriches are a bit tall for 15mm and I suspect that I once got them as a freebee or picked them up in a sale (although I can’t remember why). Despite their size and the fact that they’re a bit static, I decided to use them anyway and they’re actually not that bad as far as objectives go.



Not sure anymore where the lion comes from, he’s not the best sculpt and a bit shallow on the details (as if from a mould that’s been used for too long) but he will do. For now he’s on his own but I found two 25mm Hasslefree lionesses in my lead and resin pile which, despite a slight difference in size, will join his pride later.


The lizard is another 25mm model from Bad Squiddo games that I decided to use for 15mm anyway as it would otherwise sit in my lead pile like forever. And again the scale difference doesn’t really matter that much.


Finally, a bunch of tokens. I put some plastic stones on a washer to represent things like warp- or gemstones. The eggs I got, which actually are dinosaur nests from Magister Militum, came in a pack of three so I painted them all up.


That's it for this week, thank you for reading.

Wouter



14 comments:

  1. That burrow worm is pretty cool, seems like it would be good for RoSD. The blue color with orange tinting looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and welcome to my blog.
      I tinkered a bit with a colourscheme before I started painting him as I didn't want to paint him in the usual maggot scheme, glad to hear it payed off.

      Delete
  2. Some pretty interesting work. I was to praise the worm, but there's some really nice work here. I particularly love the lizard, and the ostriches look appealing to me. Cool job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Suber, much appreciated.

      Delete
  3. Love the skin tone on that Giant Maggot. Very appropriate and it looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kuan, I appreciate the kind comment.

      Delete
  4. Lovely minis, excllent paint job...and these ostriches are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they are, there's something almost comical to them.
      Thank you very much for the kind comment Phil.

      Delete
  5. What a fantastic little zoo! I really like the maggot and the smilodon!

    ReplyDelete